The official site of the City of Renton

Manhole Cover

You are here : Emergencies

Sewer Emergencies

Report a Sewer Emergency

If you have a sewer related emergency, broken pipes, leaky sewer main, have a clogged side sewer, or notice wastewater seeping from a manhole, please contact the Maintenance Services Division at 425.430.7400.  After 3:30 p.m. or on weekends, if the emergency cannot wait until the next business day, please call the Renton Police Department at 425.430.7500.

The City is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the City’s sanitary sewer system.  The City will respond to ensure that the public sewer mains are operating correctly.

Property owners are responsible for the operation and maintenance of their side sewers as they run from the residence to the City sewer main.  However, please contact the City, as we may be able to assist with the problem.  A permit is required for any repair, replacement, or installation of side sewers.  For information on obtaining permits, please contact the Development Services 6th Floor Customer Service Desk at Renton City Hall or by calling 425.430.7200 or 425.430.7266.

Disposal of Fats, Oils, and Grease

The disposal of fats, oils, and grease (FOG) into sanitary sewer lines is a major contributor to the clogging of the sanitary sewer system.  Most FOG does not mix well with water and floats on top of the water clinging to the top of the sewer lines.  Then when subsequent FOG flows down a line it will eventually clog.  Even a small amount of FOG in drains can cause a serious and expensive plumbing blockage and may cause an overflow in your home or our community. In addition to the damage FOG may cause to the sanitary sewer lines, it is a primary source of sewer odors, both inside a building and from a sewer line in the street. 

Fats, oils, and grease should not be disposed of in a sink, including those outfitted with a garbage disposal, or a lavatory.  FOG should be disposed of properly by placing it into a container and throwing it out in the garbage container for pickup. 

For additional information on Fats, Oils, and Grease, please visit King County’s website at Eliminating Fats, Oils and Grease from our Sewers.

Odor Issues

If you are hooked up to the public sanitary sewer system, anything flushed down the toilets or household drains goes to King County’s South Treatment Plant in Renton.

If you are experiencing odor issues from the King County’s South Treatment Plant in Renton, please contact them directly.

Septic Tanks

Septic Tanks are under the regulation of the Seattle and King County Public Health Department.  If you have questions regarding septic systems, please contact the Seattle and King County Public Health Department at Seattle/King County Public Health.