Waste Reduction and Recycling
The City of Renton has entered into a new contract for the city’s garbage and recycling services with Waste Management, Inc., that will be effective January 2009 to May 2016.
The enhancements and changes to services associated with the new contract include:
- Garbage, recyclables, yard waste and food waste all collected curbside in wheeled carts.
- All residential recyclables will go into a single recycling cart.
- Collection for residential garbage and recyclables will move to every other week.
- Collection of yard waste, which will include food waste, will be weekly.
- Significant expansion of items that can be recycled, including all plastic bottles, jugs, containers and tubs, milk and juice cartons, and scrap metal.
- Food waste collection will include all food scraps including meats, cheeses and dairy.
The contract also includes recycling services for local businesses. This is the first change in the city’s solid waste contract and the first rate increase since 2000.
To view a brief informational video explaining the new recycling services, tune to Channel 21 during the following times:
Mondays: 3 a.m., 5 a.m., 2 p.m.
Tuesdays, Thursdays: Midnight, 4 a.m., 8 a.m., 3 p.m., 8 p.m.
Wednesdays, Fridays: 2 a.m., 1 p.m., 5 p.m., 10 p.m.
Saturdays & Sundays: 4 a.m., 10 a.m., 3 p.m., 7 p.m.