The official site of the City of Renton

Duvall project warning signs

You are here : Living : Roads and Transportation

Print Friendly Version

Traffic Control Devices - Street Signs

The purpose of traffic control devices, as well as the principles for their use, is to promote highway safety and efficiency by providing for the orderly movement of all road users on streets and highways throughout the City.

Traffic control devices, in this case, street signs, notify road users of regulations and provide warning and guidance needed for the reasonably safe, uniform, and efficient operation of all elements of the traffic stream. 

Renton staff follow the guidelines of the US DOT Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) as published in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). 

Street sign requests
Chris Barnes, Transportation Operations Manager, is the point of contact for requesting new street signs within the City of Renton.  He can be contacted at 425-430-7220. 

Special situations - construction in the street or affecting traffic
Jun is also the person who reviews and approves temporary traffic control plans in the City.  Anyone doing work within the City's right-of-way and affecting traffic is required to submit a temporary traffic control plan which explains which signs and other measures (such as a certified flagger) would be used to maintain the flow of traffic and ensure the safety of the workers and travellers.  Visit the traffic control plan page.

Reporting damaged signs
An online form for reporting broken or malfunctioning traffic signals or street lights may also be used for reporting damaged, vandalized, or missing street signs.  Click here to access this form.

Other non-street signs
The regulation of other signs is handled by the Community and Economic Development (CED) Department.  This includes real estate signs, temporary event signs, and A-boards, etc.  Click here to visit the main web page for these types of signs.