Vacation House Check Program
The Renton Police Department provides a free residential security check for citizens who are living in single family homes.
This service is staffed by volunteers, in a city vehicle, who will come out to your residence and conduct a foot patrol around the home to make sure it is secured. They will check to make sure windows and doors are locked and undamaged. They will also check the door handles of vehicles left at the home to make sure they are secure, as well. A careful log is kept of what activity was conducted on your property while you were away. If, by chance, a burglary occurs at your residence while you are away, the individual that you specify as your emergency contact will be notified.
This service helps in providing peace of mind for those that need to be away from their home for an extended period of time. This service is only available during the weekdays, and it excludes weekends and holidays.
House checks are not conducted on homes that are occupied for any length of time during the homeowner's absence, and will not be available for homes that are vacant and up for sale or rent.
If you are interested in having a vacation house check, please fill out the online form or call (425) 430-7571. Be sure to leave the following information:
- When you are leaving (date and time, if known)
- When you expect to return (date and time, if known)
- Your name, address, and phone number (including name of development, if known)
- Whether there will be any cars outside your residence while you are gone (include make, model, license number)
- Who has permission to enter the residence while you are gone (i.e., to feed pets, water plants, etc.)
- An emergency contact name and number
- Any other information you feel is important for us to know