The official site of the City of Renton

You are here : Living : Law Enforcement and Crime Prevention : Traffic Enforcement

Print Friendly Version

Traffic Enforcement

The Renton Police Department's Traffic Unit promotes and enhances the efficient movement of traffic upon city streets through impartial enforcement, appropriate direction and thorough investigation.


The Traffic Unit addresses every citizen complaint that is received regarding speeding vehicles in neighborhoods.  When a traffic complaint is received by mail, phone, or the electronic Traffic Request form, it is placed on an emphasis log which is maintained by the Traffic Sergeant. This log is composed of citizen complaints and high collision areas based on information from the Traffic Engineering Department. The emphasis log is distributed to all traffic officers and patrol supervisors.  Motorcycle officers are the primary units responsible for investigating a complaint.  When a complaint is received, a motorcycle officer will work the area to determine if there is a problem and the extent of the problem. The City's Traffic Engineering Department will also conduct speed studies on certain streets to assist in determining the extent of the problem.


The Traffic Unit's Parking Enforcement Controllers enforce the timed parking in the downtown business area.  The Controllers also address complaints in neighborhoods for illegally parked and abandoned vehicles on public property. A vehicle parked on public property longer than 72 hours is considered abandoned. When the department is made aware of such a vehicle, it is tagged abandoned. State law and city ordinance allow the vehicle to be removed after 72 hours. The city allows the owner 10 days to remove the vehicle before it will be removed. A property owner can remove vehicles parked on private property at any time. Only under certain circumstances can police remove vehicles on private property.  To inform the Traffic Unit about an abandoned vehicle, please complete an electronic Traffic Request form.  Junk or hulk vehicles are handled by the city Code Compliance Officer if they're on private property.  Email the Code Compliance Sergeant or complete a Code Compliance form online.


It is illegal for vehicles with a GVW over 12,000 pounds to be parked in areas zoned residential.


Complaints can be called in directly to the Parking Enforcement Controller at (425) 430-7553 or by completing the online Traffic Request form, but during normal business hours the quickest way to file a parking complaint is by calling 9-1-1. The Parking Enforcement Controllers are out of the office during the day and are radio dispatched by 9-1-1.

Email the Traffic Unit