Animal Control

Contact Information

Animal Control Cover

The Renton Police Department employs two full-time Animal Control officers to serve residents who reside within the city limits of Renton.

Animal Control Officers

  • Investigate and enforce noise violations, such as barking dogs or other repetitive noises

  • Report on and quarantine biting animals

  • Pick up domestic animals in violation of the city's trespass ordinance

  • Enforce leash law violations

  • Advise and educate citizens on the use of traps or alternatives for nuisance cats or wildlife

  • Investigate animal cruelty complaints

  • Enforce the city's licensing requirements for dogs and cats

  • Take reports of lost/found domestic animals

  • Aid any sick or injured animal

  • Pick up any stray or deceased animal on the roadway

Animal Control Officers Do Not Handle

  • Issues outside the Renton city limits. King County residents (including unincorporated King County), contact King County Animal Control

  • Rodents or insect

  • Cats in trees

Finding a Lost Pet

To check if a lost animal within the city limits of Renton is in our care, go to the Animal Control Facebook page. 

If the animal has identification such as an ID tag or microchip, attempts to contact the owner are made. Animals without identification are held for a minimum three-day holding period, and then are put up for adoption according to health and temperament.

The Lost/Found form can be used in order to assist us in locating a pet or to help us to return an animal to its owner. Complete the form and email it, along with a photo.

Foster Homes

Renton Animal Control is seeking good foster homes. What is required to become a foster home?

  • Have a safe and caring environment for the animal
  • Have time to spend with the animal
  • Be able to attend trainings, bring animals in for medical care if necessary, and other transport as needed.
  • Be willing and able to work with Renton Police Animal Control Staff and Volunteers
  • Be able to pass a background check.

Apply: Volunteer Foster Application

Please print and complete the application and mail it to, or drop it off at, the Renton Police Department to the attention of Stephanie Hynes.


  • twitter
  • Facebook

City of Renton | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2022 Intrado Corporation. | Disclaimer