Frequently Asked Questions

Does Renton bill for utility services?

Addresses in the Renton City Limits are billed for water, sewer, and surface water and for a pass through charge for King County Sewer Treatment.

All services may not be provided solely by the city but by a combination of local water districts and the city. Bills are generated on the 30th of every month and due 25 days later. Call 425-430-6852 for the greater Renton area.

Note: Garbage service is billed by Republic Services 206-777-6440 on a quarterly basis.

Renton Highlands Area, East of Duvall Ave: Water District 90. 425-255-9600.

Benson Hill Area, areas south of Petrovitsky: Soos Creek Water and Sewer. 253-630-9900.

Fairwood and Maple Valley Highway Areas: Soos Creek Water and Sewer: 253-630-9900. Cedar River Water District: 425-255-6370.

West Hill, Skyway and Bryn Mawr area: Skyway Water and Sewer: 206-772-1580. Seattle Utilities: 206-433-1849.

Gas and Electric Service

Puget Sound Energy
[email protected]
TTY (for hard of hearing/speech disorders)
(Telecommunications Relay Service)

Other Services

Comcast: 800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278)
CenturyLink: 800-366-8201
DirecTV: 866-810-7892
Vonage: 877-618-1197 QWERT
Nextiva: 800-799-0600
Hughes Net: 877-699-5895 ABCDE

When are utility bills mailed?

Utility bills are generated on the 3th of every month and due 25 days later. There is a 20-day grace period before a 10% late charged is added to the account.

What happens if my payment is late?

On the 46th day from the billing date, a 10% penalty will be charged to the account. A late notice will be sent 10 days prior to  water being disconnected, allowing time to call the city to make arrangements to pay the bill.

If the account remains unpaid, water service will be disconnected at the water meter and a $60 fee will be added to the account.

To have service restored, the account balance must be paid in full with cash or guaranteed funds. No checks will be accepted for water that is disconnected. If service is restored after 3 p.m. a $90 after hours fee will be charged to the account. Accounts that continue to be delinquent may have a lien filed against the property.

If the water is turned off why are there still monthly charges?

Water service turned off for an extended period of time. There is a $60.00 fee, but sewer charges will stop. Charges will still be in effect for surface water and a base rate for the water meter will still be.

If water service is disconnected for non-payment, all utility rates will continue to be charged monthly.

Does the city have an automatic payment option available?

Yes. Complete a Direct Debit Application, attach a voided check and send to the City of Renton Utility billing office to set up this service.

Payments are deducted from  checking or savings accounts on the due date printed on the utility statement.

Does the city have electronic payment options available?

Yes. Payments can be made online or by phone with and electronic check, Visa or Mastercard.

To pay on line go to and select bill payment from homepage.

Call 1-800-430-1669 to pay by phone. Have the user id and password (on the utility bill statement) to access.

Who do I call about garbage service?

City of Renton has a contract with Republic Services to provide garbage service in the city limits of Renton. Republic Services provides garbage, recycling and organic (food/yard) waste containers. Garbage containers start at 20 gallons and go up to a 96 gallon cart. Containers should be delivered within seven business days.

Organic waste is picked up weekly with garbage and recycling on an every other week schedule.

Contact Republic Services (206-777-6640) for questions about pick up day, billing, charges for extras, replacements for damaged carts or to change your service.

Does the city offer reduced utility rates?

Yes. The city offers a reduced utility rate to income qualifying seniors, 61 years or older, with a maximum income of $35,000 per year. The discount is also available to permanently disabled citizens that meet the income and documentation guidelines.

Complete a Reduce Rate Application and submit with the required verifying documentation to the utility billing office for approval.

Is there assistance with utility payments?

Call 2-1-1 for the Information and Referral service for King County residents or visit Crisis Clinic.

If there is a leak, can there be a discount and does the city repair the leak?

City staff will not repair leaks on private property. A leak in the water lines from the water meter to the house is the responsibility of the property owner.

If the leak is at the water meter or on the street side of the water meter a city staff member will repair the leak and request a billing adjustment if necessary.

Customers can request a leak adjustment by filling out a leak adjustment request form and providing proof of repair. A leak adjustment will be granted once every five years to customers that provide proof of a qualifying leak as described on the form.

Can the city send a duplicate utility bill to a tenant?

Yes. Complete a Tenant Billing Form and the tenant will receive an original statement.

If the bill is not paid by the due date, a past due notice will be sent to the tenant and to the property owner. The account stays in the property owner's name and outstanding balances are the responsibility of the property owner.

The city does not calculate final bills for rental properties. A per diem is provided on utility bills so owners can easily calculate final charges for tenants. There is a $5.00 fee to set up a tenant billing. A new form is required for each new tenant. Tenant billing forms are required to be notarized if you are mailing or faxing them to the city. Forms can also be returned to city hall, 1055 S. Grady Way with a picture ID, in lieu of notarizing.

Utility accounts that continue to be delinquent will be transferred back to the property owner and the delinquent tenant will be removed from the account.

What is the surface water management charge?

Surface water utility rates are used to pay for the cost to manage surface water runoff throughout the city.

The surface water utility manages the quantity and quality of the city's storm and surface water runoff to protect people, property, and environmental resources. The surface water utility rates are used for the utility's operation, maintenance, and capital improvement programs associated with the management of the 182 miles of publicly owned storm system in the city, which benefits all ratepayers.

Why is there a bill from King County for a Sewer Capacity Charge?

The wastewater charges on your Renton utility bill are for the maintenance of the sewer lines within the City of Renton and for the sewage treatment at the King County sewage treatment plant. The sewage treatment capacity charge is a charge in addition to sewer service billed to those customers who connected to the sanitary sewage system on or after February 1, 1990. The capacity charge distributes the costs for this expanding infrastructure to customers with the newest sewer connections. In other words, the capacity charge helps make sure that “growth pays for growth.” For more information about the sewage capacity charge go to the King County website at

City of Renton | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive. | Disclaimer