Tonkin Park

Contact Information

At one-third of an acre, Tonkin Park is postage stamp-size and is located just southwest of the Downtown post office.

A brick and concrete bandshell is used for special events and donkey is known to roam the park, feeding on the lush turf. Tonkin Park is home to the city's largest tulip poplar tree, measuring over 15 feet in circumference and is apart of the Historical Tree Tour.


Park History

Tonkin Park is on the the site of Renton’s first mercantile store, operated by James Tonkin and his son Josiah “Si” Tonkin. The family donated the land to the City for a park after the Renton Garden Club adopted the triangle.

Tonkin Grocery, located on this site, was owned and operated by three generations of Tonkins. James Tonkin (1834 – 1905) immigrated from England in 1867, settling first in Illinois. He moved to Renton in 1882 and opened a general store in 1885. His son Josiah “Si” Tonkin (1864 – 1936) worked with his brothers at the store, and then took over the store in 1902 at his father’s death. Si’s son Wesley (1902 – 1995) took over the store in 1936. By 1948 Wesley had moved on to other businesses and the family donated the land for this park.


Hours

  • Sunrise to sunset
COVID-19 Guidance

Amenities

  • Bench
  • Picnic table

 

City of Renton | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2022 Intrado Corporation. | Disclaimer